Saturday, September 19, 2009

A lovely young lady...

My cousin, Sandy, has been much on my mind, in my heart and in my prayers lately.  I was thinking about her again this morning and wondering at what an amazing woman she is.  She is the wife of a military man, a mother to three amazing kids and an all around wonderful person! 

We didn't grow up together.  In fact as kids I think we only met two or three times, but boy did she leave a lasting impression!  Sandy was incredibly bossy and bratty every time she and her folks came to visit our grandparents. However, if you were to ask her today she'd tell you she has no memory of that behavior!  Let me just say that there was a lot of groaning from the local cousins whenever we learned of a planned visit - sorry Sandy... 

The years passed, we grew up and moved out into the world.  Occasionally Grammy would tell me she had heard from Sandy or her mom and she would fill me in on all that was new with them.  Grammy would tell me what a nice young lady Sandy had grown into (I couldn't wrap my head around that - again sorry Sandy).  I knew when she joined the service, Air Force I think but don't remember for sure.  I knew when she got married, had her first child, her second and her third.  With every new occasion Grammy related, she would say what a nice young lady Sandy had grown into.  And still I hadn't met her as an adult.

Nine years ago, ish, I moved to Colorado Springs with my job.  I was telling Grammy all about it and you know what she was most excited about?  Yep, you guessed it!  Sandy was currently living in Colorado Springs!  Grammy put the press on me every time I talked to her to go see Sandy.  Call Sandy - she really has grown into such a lovely young lady!  I am a little ashamed to say that I couldn't get past those childhood memories enough to pick up the silly phone and call her.  For almost a year I was a stubborn, stubborn girl. 

It wasn't until our Grammy died that I finally did what she had asked me so many times to do.  I only wish I had done it sooner, because Grammy was right.  Sandy has grown into such a lovely young lady! 

Recently Sandy has shown incredible strength and depth of love.  She and her family cared for her mom in her final days.  They didn't just take care of her, they helped her to fullfill her final wishes.  There was an adventure to California, a fishing trip, a horse back ride, girl time, family time and love all around.  She helped her mom leave this earth in the manner in which she lived her life on it - with gumption!  It is an amazing gift she gave her mother and one which she recieved at the same time. 

Although Sandy and her family are now mourning the passing of not only Sandy's mother, but also her husbands grandmother, who passed only a matter of days after her mom, she continues on.  After all, she is her mothers daughter - full of gumption... and a lovely young lady!

I love you Sandy!