Thursday, September 17, 2009

It's all about the attitude...

I have to say that yes, it is good to feel good!  I got a little tummy bug over the weekend and it put me out of commision for several days.  When I am feeling really crappy, and the crappiness continues for more than one or two days, there comes a point that I forget what feeling good feels like.  I actually begin to wonder, is this what I have in store for me for the rest of my days?  

This is pretty much how I was feeling yesterday when I spoke with a gal I haven't spoken with in several weeks and realized what dope I am!

My job is pretty much all on the phone.  Talk, talk, talk all day long.  In the nearly four years I have been doing this job I have forged relationships with several people that I speak with nearly every day.  I have come to know them, their families, their ups, downs and middles.  I have come to care about these people I have never met in person. 

This gal I spoke with yesterday is one of these wonderful people I met through my job.  I speak with her several times a week and then not at all for weeks at a time.  It's only recently that I found out why.  I'm not comfortable sharing the details of her story with you as it is not my story to tell.  Suffice it to say that she is experiencing some significant health challenges. 

What I would like to share with you is her spirit.  This gal is so full of positive attitude it oozes out of her and over 3000 miles of phone line.  Her voice just bubbles with joy.  It always brings a smile to my face when she answers the phone, I just can't help it.

So, here I am yesterday, feeling crappy and striving to remember what it feels like to not feel crappy and who should pick up that phone 3000 miles away?  Yup, my pal that hadn't answered that particular phone in roughly 4 weeks!  As soon as I heard her sunny voice I realized how long it had been and that there must have been a set back in her health.  You wouldn't know it from her voice - my only clue was that I simply hadn't heard her voice in so long.  So I asked what was up and she told me.  And it wasn't good.  But you know what, not one ounce of self pity, sadness, fear, or any other negative emotion could be heard.  Not a single little hint.  She just doesn't have it in her and I'll tell you what - I was inspired and a little awed by her strength.   I told her how incredible I think she is.  And this is what she told me:

"A smile may not change my diagnosis, but a smile just might change my prognosis."

I think these words that my pal has chosen to live her life by should be adopted by us all.  Your diagnosis doesn't have to be some terrible thing like my pal, but no matter what's going on it can only be better if you put a smile on it. 

Funny thing about a smile, even when it starts with forced effort it shortly becomes genuine.  So, lets all put on a smile, go out there and have our BEST day yet...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So very, very true!!! Keep on smiling!!!
Deb