Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Spaghetti Sauce...

I was cooking dinner tonight and it occurred to me that life is a lot like spaghetti sauce! 

Now, when I make sauce there a few things that remain constant:
1.  It NEVER, NEVER comes from a can or jar.
2.  There are always onions.
3.  There are always mushrooms.
4.  There are always diced tomatoes, and yes, they are from a can!

That about covers the constants.  Everything else is up in the air until it actually gets in the pot. 

Sometimes I like veggie sauce, other times I like meat.  My current favorite meat is Italian seasoned ground turkey.  Occasionally I use hamburger and season it up good! 

When it comes to the tomato part of the sauce there are a few options.  Like I said before, it starts with the diced tomatoes - italian seasoned.  Then I might use tomato sauce or paste - depends on how I feel that day.  Or just another can of diced tomatoes!

There are always herbs and spices, but not always the same selection!

Then I have to decide if I'm going to cook it quick or slow - how hungry am I and how long did I put off making dinner?  These are the keys to this decision!

Last choice is the noodle.  I don't always use the typical spaghetti noodle.  In fact rotini is my favorite.  I use this most often with any kind of sauce - red, white, cheese, you name it!  I love the rotini!

So, as you can see, my sauce is never the same.  A little variation here, a dash different there and the whole outcome is completely different. 

Such are our days as we make our way through life. There are constants and choices, which when combined define our days and lives.

Some of our constants might be:
1. Well, the simple fact that we woke up and got out of the bed!
2. Loved ones.
3. Toothpaste choice, you get the idea...

So, each is day similar, but made unique by the little choices we make all day long - wear the comfy shoes or the cute ones that hurt your feet?  Take lunch or buy?  Dinner with friends or quiet night at home?  Little choices that make up the fabric of our days.

There are also always leftovers - in life and in sauce!  A lingering feeling, a to-do list not yet completed, a question unanswered.  These leftovers weave their way into the fabric of our days making each one different from the last.

I like to think that my leftovers get better with time, just like my spaghetti sauce! 

Bon Appetit!

2 comments:

kathryn said...

Well, I think anything Italian only gets better with time...and that includes US!

Your sauce sounds delicious!

Shawn said...

We absolutely get better with time....Italian girls and Irish girls that love the pasta!