Thursday, October 1, 2009

Kids... WOW

Sometime around noon...

Today I was talking on the phone with a gal that I speak with nearly every day at work.  In the course of taking care of business we chat - we've become very good at multitasking!  Part of their business is screenprinting t-shirts and they do a lot of work with high schools.  In the past they have had a couple requests from high school girls to print sexually explicit t-shirts and they turned them down flat.  Which, you know, good for them!  

Well today, a young lady comes into the shop with her cell phone in hand.  She tells the gals she is aware that they wont print "dirty" shirts, but this isn't really bad so maybe they would print it for her?  And she shows them a couple pictures on her cell phone....

On the front of the shirt, on the left shoulder, is a big splat.  The back of the shirt reads "Did I pull out soon enough?" 

I'll tell you what - I was disturbed!  And grossed out.  And... well just, yuck!  A teenaged girl not thinking this is bad?  What the heck is her definition I wonder?  It was not a shining moment and my general belief that kids are pretty cool took a beating! 

Then...sometime around 5pm...

Not being a mother myself, there hasn't been much opportunity for me to enjoy high school sports since I was actually in high school - many, many... okay one more... many years ago!  Even all those years ago, I wasn't much involved.  I would attend a game or two, but really my interests were elsewhere.  Tonight I realized just what I've been missing!

My friends 16-year-old daughter is on her high school swim team and I had the privilege of watching her swim meet tonight.  And I was thrilled and amazed by these kids.

Now, I'm pretty fond of this young lady that I have known since she was hangin' out in her mamas belly, so one could argue that I am a little biased in my opinion.  But I don't think so.  These kids really ROCK!  Every one of those girls swam their hearts out and when they weren't in the water themselves they cheered at the top of their lungs for their pals. 

It was a joy to watch those girls in and out of the water.  They all worked hard and focused and got the job done! It was fantastic!

I had an incredible time and had my faith in kids in general pretty much restored.  I mean really, when I see the focus and dedication these kids are capable of, how can I doubt our future will be in good hands?

2 comments:

kathryn said...

Well, there you go. It's all in the kid...good or bad...right or wrong. That young girl in the silkscreen place is headed for trouble...and someone's not talking to her. It's a shame. Glad to hear you got the other side of the coin, though!
thanks for the comment at my place!

Shawn said...

Kathryn - Thanks for stopping by! You're right, it is all in the kid. I really do believe most kids are pretty darn cool though!